A move in Bern or to Bern does not only consist of packing boxes, transporting furniture and cleaning, but also of bureaucratic tasks. In this article we have compiled the most important addresses for your move to Berne.

Residents’ Office, Office for Migration and Immigration Police in Bern

In Bern, the Residents’ Office, the Migration Office and the Immigration Police are located within a single control centre. The following tasks are administered there: Written police tasks, all questions relating to the residence right, such as the approval and extension of residence permits for foreign residents, residence registration and deregistration, change of address, weekly stay and residence certificates.

New in Bern after the move

If you are new to the city of Bern and want to register in the city, you should bring the following documents with you:

  • Certificate of residence
  • Family card (if you are married or live in a registered partnership)
  • Social security number (AHV number)
  • Birth certificate (children under 18 years of single persons)
  • Divorce decree
  • Declaration of consent for the relocation of minors (children under 18/parents not married, separated or divorced)

Registration should be made within 14 days of moving to the city of Bern.

Weekly residence in Bern

If you wish to apply for a weekly residency at the counter, please bring the following documents with you:

  • Home residence card (available from your local authority)
  • Social insurance number (AHV number)

The application or the extension for a weekly residency can also be completed online.

Under certain circumstances, it may be necessary for you to present your tenancy agreement. However, if this is the case, you will be informed by the Bern Residents’ Office.

Relocation within Bern

If you are moving within Bern and just want to change your address, you can do this conveniently from home. This is because there is an e-Umzug platform for that. Please also note the deadline of 14 days after your move.

Moving away from Berne

If you move away from Bern, you must deregister from the city of Bern. You can use again the eUmzug page. If you are a weekly resident and wish to deregister, you can use the same document as for deregistration.

You can also apply for a new certificate of residence at the local residents’ registration office in Bern. To do this, use the web form to order a certificate of origin.

Address of the Residents’ Office, Office for Migration and Aliens Police Bern

Predigergasse 5, ground floor
Post office box
3001 Berne
Phone +41 31 321 53 00

The counter opening hours are:

Monday to Friday: 10.00 – 16.00 o’clock non-stop
Thursday until 18.00 o’clock

Further information can also be found here.

Road Traffic & Shipping in Bern

Not only do people have to be re-registered when moving to and from Bern, but vehicles and a change of address in your driving license are also mandatory. The Office for Road Traffic & Shipping in Bern is responsible for this.

Moving within Bern City

Report your new address to the relevant office within 14 days. To do this, send your previous vehicle registration document and driving license with the required documents. The required documents are:

  • Your previous vehicle registration document
  • Your new address

Address changes are free of charge for you.

Moving in from another canton

If a vehicle is moved from one canton to another, it will need new control plates in addition to a new driving license within 14 days. The new address is the place where the vehicle is parked overnight.

Anyone who moves to Bern with a vehicle should present the following documents at the counter or by post:

  • The completed document for the registration of a vehicle (only necessary if the vehicle is sent in by post).
  • The previous driving license
  • A new proof of liability insurance (available in electronic form from your insurance company)
  • If you do not have Swiss citizenship, you will need a copy of your residence permit.
  • Other documents such as the EC Certificate of Conformity (COC) or the Dynamic test Center test report (DTC)


A distinction is made between processing by post and processing by an expert at the counter:


Issuance of the vehicle registration document: 45 CHF
Issuing new license plates Single plate: CHF 30
Issuing of new license plates Pair of plates: 45 CHF

Ticket counter:

Issuance of the vehicle registration card: 55 CHF
Issuing of new license plates Single plate: 30 CHF
Issuing of new license plates Pair of license plates: 45 CHF

Motor vehicle inspection address

Head office
Schermenweg 5
post office box
3001 Berne
+41 31 635 80 80

Counter opening hours:

Monday to Friday 07:30 – 16:00 o’clock.

Parking lot reservation in Bern

If you are moving in Bern, you must reserve a parking space near your new place of residence, unless your new home offers you a parking space. If you want to use the sidewalk during your move, you will need a special removal permit. You can download this free of charge.

If you need parking space reservation signals, there are two options: If you are moving with a professional removal company from Bern, you can first ask the removal company, who will sometimes take care of setting up and dismantling the signals personally. Or you can order the signals from the Bern police inspectorate. It is important that this is done eight days before your move date.

Address Police Station Bern

1st floor, office 109
authorization system
Predigergasse 5
3011 Berne
Phone +41 31 321 52 17

Counter opening hours:

Monday-Friday: 07.00-11.30 o’clock and 12.30 to 16.00 o’clock

Further information and PDFs to download can be found here.

Compensation fund in Bern

The Compensation fund is your point of contact if you have any questions about Swiss social security and also needs to be notified of your new address in Bern. You can either go by in person, call or use the contact form.

Address of the Bern Compensation Fund

Chutzstrasse 10
3007 Bern

The counter opening hours are:

Monday to Thursday 08.00 to 12.00 o’clock and from 13.30 to 17.00 o’clock
Friday from 08.00 to 12.00 o’clock and from 13.30 to 16.00 o’clock

Further information on the Bern Compensation Fund can be found here.

Waste disposal facilities in Bern

There are numerous waste disposal facilities in Bern. This map shows the waste collection points in Bern. Disposal points for larger objects are Fellerstrasse and Schermen.

Disposal sites Addresses

Feller Street

Fellerstrasse 13a
3027 in Bern

Opening hours

Monday – Friday 08.00 – 12.00 o’clock and 13.00 – 18.30 o’clock
Saturdays from 08.00 – 15.00 o’clock


Wölflistrasse 17
3006 Berne

Opening hours

Monday – Friday 08.00 – 12.00 o’clock and 13.00 – 18.30 o’clock
Saturday 08.00 – 15.00 o’clock

Additional tips:
We have compiled various tips for you for finding an apartment in Bern. You will learn how to find a suitable apartment in Bern more easily.