Are you moving to Belgium, the Netherlands or Luxembourg from Switzerland? Here is an article that might interest you. We have gathered the information and documents you need to prepare your departure. 

View on lake in the Netherlands.

Move to Holland.



International Moving to Luxembourg, Belgium or the Netherlands

Hire a professional company for your moving to Belgium

Our partner companies can organise your move from Switzerland to Belgium or another country from the Benelux. Start a request on and receive 5 quotes from professional moving companies free of charge. A visit will be organized with the company of your choice to discuss your needs and establish a precise list of inventory including all the items that need to be transported.

Our partner companies are all experienced in international moving to Belgium and the other countries of the Benelux and can help you with the procedures and documents.

Click here and get 5 free quotes for your international move.

Moving to Belgium on your own

If you are moving on your own, you can rent a vehicle and organise everything by yourself. Check the different documents below to be sure that you are not forgetting anything.

Transit declaration

Crossing France

To get to Belgium or Luxembourg, you may have to temporarily cross France. The French customs will ask you for your moving file including the documents to be presented as well as a transit declaration approved by a customs forwarder. If you wish to contact them for more information, you will find below the contact details of the customs office in St-Louis:

  • +33 9 70 27 79 20

Crossing Germany

In order to get to the Netherlands, you have to temporarily cross Germany. To do so, you must fill out an online transit declaration with the German customs. The transit declaration can be registered online and must be printed out in duplicate, signed and presented to the customs office. If you would like to contact the German customs for more information, you can find their contact details below:

If you are crossing more than one border, we strongly advise you to use the services of a customs broker who will help you with the customs clearance and the import of your personal belongings into Belgium, the Netherlands or Luxembourg. This will allow you to avoid any unpleasant surprises during the customs controls. We advise you to use the services of a customs agent in your future country of residence.

Documents for customs

You will have to declare what you are exporting from Switzerland. If you are moving from Switzerland to the Benelux, you will have to declare your personal belongings at each customs.

The following documents will be required:

  • Proof of change of residence (work contract or rental agreement)
  • An inventory in triplicate with details and figures of all your personal belongings
  • A valid identity document

Exemption from customs taxes

As for the other member countries of the European Union, you are exempted from customs duties on the transport of your personal belongings if you meet the following criteria:

  • You have been living in Switzerland for at least 12 months
  • You wish to transfer your main residence to the country to which you are moving
  • You are transporting your personal belongings, intended for your personal use or for household needs
  • You do not intend to sell your belongings within 12 months of your move
  • You have been in possession of your personal belongings for at least 6 months prior to the date of your move

The transit declaration allows you to pay no taxes in the country you are moving through. You will only have to pay taxes when you pass through customs in the country you are moving to if you do not meet the exemption conditions.