Spain is a dream destination for many Swiss citizens and especially the ones who are retiring. If you are planning to move permanently to Spain, this article will help you. We have gathered all the necessary information and documents to prepare you departure before moving to Spain.

Picture of Spain.




As a Swiss citizen (or if you are from a country belonging to the European Union), you do not need a visa or residence permit to settle in Spain. A simple identity document is enough. 

If you come from another country, please contact the Spanish embassy.

Hire a professional company for your moving to spain

Our partner companies can help you move your personal belongings from Switzerland to Spain. Start a request on and receive 5 quotes from professional moving companies free of charge. A visit will be organized with the company of your choice to discuss your needs and establish a precise list of inventory including all the items that need to be transported to Spain. 

Our companies are professionals and will know how to organize your move to Spain. They can guide you with the different procedures and help you step by step.

Click here and get 5 free quotes for your international move.

Moving to Spain on your own

If you are moving on your own, you can rent a vehicle and organise everything by yourself. Check the different documents below to be sure that you are not forgetting anything.

The journey through France

To move to Spain, you must temporarily cross France. The French customs will ask you for your removal file, including the documents to be presented, as well as a transit declaration approved by a customs forwarder. If you wish to contact them for more information, you will find below the contacts of the different border offices in Geneva and St-Louis: 

  • Thônex-Vallard : +339 70 27 31 83
  • Saint-Julien-en-Genevois : +339 70 27 32 19

  • Ferney-Voltaire : +339 70 27 31 83
  • St-Louis : +33 9 70 27 79 20

As you are crossing France and two borders, we advise you in all cases to use the services of a customs broker who will help you with customs clearance and the import of your personal effects into Spain. This will allow you to avoid any unpleasant surprises during the customs controls. We also advise you to use a forwarding agent directly in Spain.

Documents to be presented to customs

You will have to declare what you are exporting from Switzerland. If you are moving from Switzerland to Spain, you will have to declare your personal belongings to the different authorities.

You will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of change of residence (work contract or rental agreement) 
  • Detailed and quantified inventory of all your personal belongings in triplicate 
  • A valid identity card

Exemption from customs duties

As for the other member countries of the European Union, you are exempted from customs taxes on the transport of your personal goods if you respect the following conditions: 

  • You have been living in Switzerland for at least 12 months
  • You wish to transfer your main residence to Spain. 
  • You are transporting your personal effects, intended for your personal use or for the needs of the household (alcohol and tobacco are excluded)
  • You do not sell your goods within 12 months of your move  
  • You have been in possession of your personal property for at least 6 months prior to your moving date

The following are excluded from the transfer of residence fee exemption:

  • Alcohol products 
  • Tobacco and tobacco products 
  • Commercial means of transport 
  • Equipment for professional use

The transit declaration allows you to avoid paying taxes in France. You will only have to pay taxes when you pass through Spanish customs if you do not meet the conditions for exemption.