Austria is the country with the best quality of life in Europe. Each year, many of you decide to pack your bags to settle there. This article will give you more details about all the necessary documents and information you will need to plan your move to Austria.
If you are a Swiss citizen or a citizen of the European Union, you do not need a visa or residence permit to settle in Austria, a simple identity document is sufficient.
If you come from another country, please contact the Austrian embassy.
MOVING TO AUSTRIA FROM SWITZERLAND
Hire a professional company for your move to Austria
Our partner companies can organise your move to Austria very easily. Start a request on movu.ch and receive 5 quotes from professional moving companies free of charge. A visit will be organized with the company of your choice to discuss your needs and establish a precise list of inventory including all the items that need to be transported.
Our partner companies are all experienced in international moves to Austria and can help you at every step with the planning of your move to Austria.
Moving to Austria on your own
If you are moving to Austria on your own, you can rent a vehicle and organise everything by yourself. Check the different documents below to be sure that you are not forgetting anything.
PROCEDURES FOR YOUR MOVE TO AUSTRIA
Lists of documents to be presented to customs
- The exhaustive list of the inventory you are carrying in triplicate, detailed and quantified
- Proof of change of residence (work contract or lease)
- The ZBefr2E and ZBefr2aE customs clearance application forms
- A valid identity document
If you are moving with a professional company, you do not have to be present at the customs, the customs documents are sufficient.
Exemption from customs taxes
As for the other member countries of the European Union, you are exempted from customs taxes on the transport of your personal belongings if you meet the following criteria:
- You have been living in Switzerland for at least 12 months.
- You wish to transfer your main residence to Austria.
- You are transporting your personal belongings, intended for your personal use or for the needs of the household (alcohol and tobacco are excluded).
- You are not intending to sell your belongings within 12 months of your move.
- You have been in possession of your personal belongings for at least 6 months prior to the date of your move.
Find more information on the official government website