Are you preparing to leave Switzerland to move to Italy? Discover in this article all the documents and information necessary to prepare your international move to Italy.


Move to Italy




If you are a Swiss citizen or a citizen of the European Union, you do not need a visa or residence permit to settle in Italy. A simple identity document is sufficient.

As for the Italian citizens wishing to return to Italy, they must be registered with AIRE if they have been living abroad for more than 12 months. If you have been abroad for less than 12 months, you do not need to register.

If you are not a citizen of the European Union, you must apply for a residence permit at the Prefecture of Police (Questura) within 8 days of your arrival on the territory (for a stay longer than three months).


Hiring a relocation company to move to Italy

Our moving companies can take care of your move from Switzerland to Italy for you to avoid any unnecessary stress. Start a request on and receive 5 quotes from professional moving companies free of charge. A visit will be organized with the company of your choice to discuss your needs and establish a precise list of inventory including all the items that need to be transported to Italy.

Our companies are used to organising moving services from Switzerland to Italy and can guide you at every step.

Click here and get 5 free quotes for your international move.

Moving to Italy on your own

If you are moving on your own to Italy, you can rent a vehicle and organise everything by yourself. Check the different documents below to be sure that you are not forgetting anything.


Documents to hand out to the consulate one week before your departure and to hand out to the customs

If you wish to benefit from the tax exemption and obtain all the information before your move to Italy, we strongly advise you to go to the Italian Consulate in your canton with the following documents:

Your personal documents

  • Proof of change of address (employment contract or rental agreement)
  • A letter of dismissal, if applicable.
  • The de-registration from the town hall/gemeinde indicating the date of departure from
  • Switzerland and the names of all the household members
  • A valid identity document
  • Your driving license, if applicable
  • Original vehicle registration certificate, stamped and signed by the Swiss motor vehicle department, if applicable
  • Your old address in Switzerland and your new address in Italy

Your personal belongings

In triplicate for each document:

For any information on customs, we invite you to consult the official government website.

Exemption from customs taxes

You are exempt from paying customs taxes on the transportation of your personal belongings if you meet the following requirements:

  • The inventory you are transporting is for personal use only.
  • You have been in possession of your personal belongings for at least 6 months prior to the date of your move.
  • You are moving your primary residence

You can ask for more information during your appointment at the Consulate General of Italy.


Once settled, you will need to obtain the following documents to live in Italy:

Certificate of residence

If you are a Swiss citizen, you must register with the civil registry office of your new place of residence if you intend to live in Italy for more than three months.

Tax identification number (codice fiscale)

You must apply for a tax identification number for each member of your family. You can apply at the Italian Consulate General before you leave for Italy or at the tax office (Agenzia delle Entrate) when you arrive.

Your social security registration

When you arrive, you must register with the local health agency (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) in order to benefit from the country’s healthcare system. Health care is free in Italy. You will be asked to present your identity card, your tax number, your residence certificate and your civil status form.